April 30, 2011

Peas & Rice

I found this recipe on One Perfect Bite, but of course I adjusted it to what was in my pantry.  Honestly looking over the recipe again, I didn't follow it at all.  Hm, next time I should really read it more carefully as it says it's a light soup!  I didn't make it as such... We actually ate this as our main course topped with a bunch of cheese. The original asks for arborio rice.  I found that type at Target for $7.99 but didn't buy it.  I actually used Minute rice because of time restraints, but that is definitely not recommended for this recipe since it's actually a soup and the rice shouldn't absorb the water completely.

3 T butter
1 yellow onion, chopped (sautee in butter)
3 pounds fresh peas (3 cups shelled) {frozen peas may be substituted}
pinch of salt
1 cup Chicken Stock
2 cups water
1 cup arborio rice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Grated parmigiano-reggiano 

Melt butter in a medium saucepan and sautee onion (for about 5 minutes.)  Add peas and salt, cook for about two minutes.  Pour in the chicken stock and water, bring to a boil.  Once boiling, add the rice and parsley.  Cook over medium-low heat, covered, until rice is al dente and the peas are very soft, about 20 minutes.  Stir occasionally. Serve immediately before the rice absorbs the liquid. Top with parmigiano-reggiano.  Yields 4-6 servings

My rice dish as rice and peas, not as a rice and pea soup-- oops!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2009 Becky's Kitchen. Powered by Blogger.