April 5, 2011

Toddler-friendly round crayons

Okay, this isn't an edible recipe, but they were still made in Becky's Kitchen.  I've been wanting to make these for Julia for a couple of months now.  I specifically bought a box of crayons, on sale for 25 cents, just for this.  I also used the other "fat" crayons that were laying around.  I cut the wrappers off lightly with a sharp knife and went to town filling up the muffin tins.  I've read two blogs who have featured this.  The first suggests to fill them half-way.  Mine were on the shallow side, so I wonder if I should have used even more.  I baked them at 250 degrees for 10 minutes, but the Frugal Family Fun Blog suggests 275 degrees.  The second blog suggests that during the summer you can leave the tins in the car to melt during the day.  After they have been melted in the oven, let them cool and place them in the fridge for about a half hour.  When they're completely cooled, they pop right out!  We gave the multi-colored ones to our friends at the playground, who “Oohed and Ahhed” over the colors!

Unwrap the crayons
Fill half-way
These are already cooled!
The big reveal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2009 Becky's Kitchen. Powered by Blogger.