January 19, 2011

Pumpkin Prune Bread

Extended Family Christmas Gifts-- 2009
In fall 2009, I created Pumpkin Prune BreadMostly I used pumpkin instead of oil and made changed to the spices.  It turned out well, and it was delicious enough to proclaim it a seasonal tradition and make them for Christmas gifts.  Yesterday I made it again, but made even more changes to the recipe.  Without further ado, here is 2010's Pumpkin Prune Bread recipe:

1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup pumpkin
3 eggs
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1-1/2 cups pastry wheat flour
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
(about) 2 cups chopped prunes

Mix together sugars, eggs, and pumpkin.  In another mixing bowl, combine flours, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda* and salt. Add the vanilla with the buttermilk^.  Alternately pour in a third of the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture, then add a third buttermilk in the pumpkin mixture until all incorporated.  Stir in chopped prunes.  Pour the batter into two bread pans and bake at 350 degrees from 40 to 50 minutes. 

 
* The original recipe calls for 1 tsp. baking powder and 1/4 tsp. baking soda.  I read the recipe wrong while I quickly jot down notes (not the full instructions...), so I just added 1 tsp of baking soda.

^ I didn't have buttermilk in the house, so I made my own.  Simply measure 4-1/2 tsp of white vinegar in a measuring cup and add 1 cup milk.  Stir.  Let sit for 15 minutes.  You can use right away or store in the fridge until needed.  Courtesy of Mr. Lagasse of the Food Network Channel.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2009 Becky's Kitchen. Powered by Blogger.