January 11, 2011

Experiment: Oven Ready Lasagna

Passing by the pasta in the grocery store, I saw this package and thought it would be fun to try. 

Just being able to layer pasta with the other lasagna ingredients would save me from having to clean an extra pot, but I was uncertain if it would save time.  I did two things differently with this recipe, first is that I mixed an egg with cottage {or ricotta} cheese and second is that I used this oven ready pasta.  I also like to layer a vegetable and this time I used zucchini and yellow squash.

First layer of lasagna
The directions on the box do instruct to layer the lasagna so that they do not touch each other, as they will expand while cooking in the oven.  The directions also advised to bake in the oven for 30 minutes, covered, then 10 minutes longer uncovered.  I was worried that if the extended cooking time were true, that it wouldn't be worth it.  Luckily, my lasagna was well cooked after the 30 minutes and I had no complaints with the turn out!


It seems that the purchase was worth the extra money, in that it saved me from worrying about another step in the cooking and one less dish to wash after eating. 

*In tonight's sauce, I did not add a can of (or fresh) diced tomatoes and the quantity was perfect for two layers of noodles.  I also added garlic powder, but I used onion powder as I didn't saute fresh onions with the sausage.

1 comment:

  1. I have to play catch up! I've tried this type of noodle too and thought it was just as good! I like your spin on it though. Adding veggies like squash. Also your chili sounds/looks yummy and I might have to try that pancake/egg/corn/cheese dish! ha.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2009 Becky's Kitchen. Powered by Blogger.