May 31, 2010

A Becky Classic III




Good ol' Lasagna. A classic Italian stand by, but I don't really make it a lot, really. I've made lasagna with both lasagna noodles and curly pasta. It's far easier to make it with the flat lasagna noodles! I can fit more cheese, sauce and vegetables in between the layers. I use my classic sauce (same that I use to make spaghetti); we usually add meat but vegetarian lasagna is easy to adapt. I also like to change up my vegetables from spinach to yellow squash and zucchini.

Becky's Basic Mariana sauce:
1 can tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes or throw in some fresh (Optional and if you want a lot of sauce! Sometimes I add this the day after to stretch out the leftovers)
1/2 pound sausage
onion (fresh, saute with sausage; dried add to sauce)
Italian Seasoning
Parsley
Salt and Pepper

Brown sausage and onion in a skillet. Add tomato sauce(s), let heat until slightly bubbly and lastly add the herbs and season to taste.

Laying the Lasagna:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Add some sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Layer lasagna noodles to fit tightly, top with cottage cheese and your choice of vegetable. Repeat with layering sauce, noodles, cheese and vegetables. Depending on how my noodles you boiled and how much sauce you have left, you could end there (and top with grated cheese and/or Parmesan cheese) or you can put a third layer of noodles and the last of the sauce (then add grated cheese and/or Parmesan cheese).

Bake for about 30 minutes

Another dish without an official recipe to look at every time you make it. For a variation, you can try the White Cheese Chicken Lasagna. Who could go wrong with classic lasagna?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2009 Becky's Kitchen. Powered by Blogger.