November 5, 2010

Experiment! "Kettle Corn"

I found a brilliant baking blog!  I wish that I had that creativity or even the ambition to make such cute things.  I was intrigued by their Kettle Corn.  Was it really that easy?  I so wanted to experiment!

First, as instructed, I got everything ready.  3 T vegetable oil, 1/3 cup popcorn kernels and 3 T sugar. 

kernels and sugar



On the stove, I poured 3 T vegetable oil in a big pot.  I waited until the oil heated up on medium high.  When I could see some faint smoke in the light, I knew it was hot enough.  Then I poured in the kernels and sugar.  As advised, I quickly stirred it around to incorporate everything.  A wooden spoon would work the best.  With the lid on and using a towel to hold the lid and handles, I shook the pot like crazy.  It must have been hot enough because kernels began to immediately pop!!  It's important to shake the pot, so the sugar doesn't stick to the bottom.

Popping in Progress-- I found my glass lid very helpful!
Almost done

 Hot!
 Dished it into a bowl using a big spoon
The unpopped kernels.  I found a couple in my bowl, though.

If you'd like, shake some salt onto the Kettle Corn (I don't think it's necessary though).  This took literally minutes to make.  It's good, but kinda too sweet.  Maybe 2 T sugar would be enough?  After I spooned the popcorn into a bowl, I thought it might have been a better idea to spread the popcorn out onto a baking sheet to cool down (popcorn balls, anyone?).  That would be the best approach if the popcorn is given as a gift.  This recipe has changed the way that I think of popcorn!



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2009 Becky's Kitchen. Powered by Blogger.