March 7, 2011

Experiment! Irish Soda Bread

In the cooking blogosphere, there are a lot of soda bread recipes featured this month, in honor of St. Patrick.  I thought I'd try my hand and it, but with my history of dense breads, the result was the usual, hearty bread.  The original recipe came from Farmersgirl Kitchen, who lives in the UK, so I got to use my kitchen scale.

First, measure out the dry ingredients:

275 grams (from my math, 2 cups) wholemeal flour {I used wheat flour}

75 grams all-purpose flour (from my math, 1/2 cup)
50 grams steel cut oats (from my math, 1/4 cup)

Then add 1 tsp. baking soda, 1-1/2 tsp salt, and 1 tsp. sugar:

Now for the wet ingredients...
Beat one egg
Measure 234 ml buttermilk (from my math, just under 1 cup.  It's just on the scale for looks!)
Pour the beaten egg into the buttermilk and whisk together.

Pour into the flour mixture and mix first with a fork then with your hands.

  Shape into an oval, place on a greased baking sheet.
Cut an X into the top and sprinkle 1 Tablespoon for rolled oats (more steel cut oats can be used, too)
Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes.  It may take longer, so be sure to monitor it.
Slice and enjoy your REAL Irish Soda Bread.  Maybe it turns out a bit better than mine did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2009 Becky's Kitchen. Powered by Blogger.