March 1, 2012

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

This is actually the third time I've made this cake-- the second time since the genesis of this blog.  The first time Julia was just three weeks old. I don't remember what kind of frosting I made for it. My uncle and mom suggested that it needed salt in the recipe (the original recipe didn't include it on the ingredient list.)  The second time was for Julia's 1st birthday, and I made cream cheese frosting sprinkled with colored sprinkles and shaped it into a flower, by cutting a 9-in. round cake into thirds and using cupcakes as the pedals. I'm kicking myself for not taking pictures of the party and food (Hawaiian Haystacks and this cake.)  I did record it though.  This time, for Thomas' birthday, I royally messed up the chocolate frosting... I didn't even read the directions!  Instead I just dusted powder sugar on top, next time I'll sift the powder sugar on each individual piece.  Nonetheless, he still loves it.  We keep going back for seconds!

Recipe:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1-3/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
[1/2 tsp salt]
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 cups shredded zucchini (I like to simply grate it)

In a stand mixer or large bowl, cream together butter, oil and sugar.  Once smooth, add eggs-- one at a time-- beating well after each.  Beat in vanilla.  In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cloves.  Add the flour mixture into the creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk.  Once incorporated, fold in the grated zucchini.  Pour into a greased 9-x13-x2-inch baking pan, bake at 325 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until done.  Cool for 10 minutes before serving.

If you'd like to try this frosting, I never have... but here it is!
1 cup flaked coconut
6 Tablespoons butter, softened
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup milk
{The recipe suggest to broil the frosted cake for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool before serving.}


Recipe from: Holben, Lois.  "Chocolate Zucchini Cake".  Taste of Home Annual Recipes: 2007.  Ed. Michelle Bretl.  Greendale, WI: Reiman Media Group, Inc (Taste of Home Books), 2006.  131.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2009 Becky's Kitchen. Powered by Blogger.