August 7, 2011

Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes {au Gratin}

Have I covered all the possible potato dishes in that title?  Scalloped potatoes are good, but I'm a big sucker for cheese, so I had to cheat and add cheese.  This recipe is sort of my own-- a concoction of a couple of different recipes.  Potatoes are versatile, so just imagine the possibilities! 

First thinly cut 1 pound of potatoes.  I used red potatoes this time around.

For the sauce, melt 1-2 Tablespoon butter in a saucepan.  Mix in an onion or dried onions.  To make the roux add 2 T flour, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese (all to taste). Pour 1-1/4 cups milk all at once and whisk well.  At first I kept the heat on medium low until I figured out that turning up the heat to medium high will get the sauce thick and bubbly in no time.  I do like to keep stirring it so the milk doesn't burn on the bottom.

Layer half the sliced potatoes in a greased casserole dish (8x8), cover with half the sauce and repeat.  Cut two slices of (wheat) bread into 1-inch cubes.  Cover the top of the dish with bread cubes and 1/2-1 cup shredded cheese.

Bake for 1 hour in a 350 degree oven or until done.


Inspired by Better Homes and Gardens and Set for Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2009 Becky's Kitchen. Powered by Blogger.