May 17, 2011

{friendlier} chicken enchiladas

These enchiladas are *almost* as good as the classic recipe.  Ever since last August I've needed to avoid fatty, oily, acidic, and citrus foods.  That doesn't leave much else to eat, hehe.  This is actually cheating because I added taco seasoning (hello, garlic, onion, chili powder, etc, etc) to the chicken just like in my classic enchilada.  But the sauce is mild with soup and sour cream (or yogurt).  Just a year ago, and earlier, I was eating my tomato dishes. Maybe, just maybe, I can have tomatoes as the staple of my diet again.  Until then, I will make do without it.

Sauce:
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream (or yogurt)
Italian seasoning
black pepper
anything else like chili powder, etc.  I added paprika, red color without the heat

Filling:
diced chicken (I always use rotisserie leftovers)
1 packet taco seasoning (1/4 cup)
3/4 cup water
cheese

Method:
Dice or shred chicken and place in a skillet.  Add taco seasoning and water, heat thoroughly and mix until thickened.  In the meantime, heat the soup, sour cream and herbs/spices in a small saucepan.  Warm eight tortillas.  Add a spoonful of chicken mixture and cheese in the center of the tortilla.  Wrap and place seam side down in a casserole dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.  Pour the enchilada sauce of the top.  Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.


Inspired from an allrecipes.com recipe

{And Happy BIRTHday to my new niece, Stephanie!}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2009 Becky's Kitchen. Powered by Blogger.