April 1, 2012

April Fool's Day "Chocolate Cream Pie"

Another inspiration from Pinterest.  In honor of April Fool's Day, I decided to make "dessert" for dinner.  I tried out a new (to me) recipe for meatloaf using ground turkey and Panko breadcrumbs.  Then I tried to spread mashed potatoes on top to look like whipped topping.

Turkey Meatloaf
2/3 cups panko (Japanese) breadcrumbs
1/2 cup milk
3 pounds lean (7 percent) ground turkey, preferably organic
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons ketchup
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl mix Panko with milk and let stand for five minutes.  Add ground turkey, onion, eggs, (1/4 cup) ketchup, parsley, mustard, salt, sage and pepper.  Mix the turkey mixture well.  Place the meat into a loaf pan, brush on top the 2 Tablespoons of ketchup and bake for 90-105 minutes.  Inner temperature should be 165 degrees when done.  While baking, you may need to drain the extra grease.  I halved the recipe, and it was finished in 1 hour.  Next time, I'll just make the recipe as is.  It's a great tasting turkey loaf, flavorful and moist.  Thomas liked the ketchup incorporated inside (he didn't realize the ketchup on the outside because I piled mashed potatoes on top of it.) 

For the mashed potatoes, I washed, peeled, cut and boiled 5 yukon gold.  I added about 1/4 cup milk, 3 Tablespoons melted butter and garlic powder to taste.



Source for meatloaf: "Turkey Meatloaf".  The Martha Stewart Show, February Winter 2008.
Inspiration from: Huntley, Amy.  "April Fool's Day".  The Idea Room. 16. March 2010.

2 comments:

  1. Man, I wish I would have read this yesterday!! :-) Looks like a lot of fun!! Thanks again for visiting last week! I'm happy to find your blog, it's so full of great info!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Your comment has made my day! :) I'm also glad to have found your blog. It's always exciting to get new readers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2009 Becky's Kitchen. Powered by Blogger.